How Old is Hallie?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

How Old is Lea?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Toxic Household


The entire family is now sick with parainfluenza (which apparently has 4 strains, 2 subtypes, and considerable amount of snot associated with it). Even though we're all feeling cruddy (quite literally), I do think we're on the mend. In the realm of TMI, all of our noses are non-stop dripping faucets right now. I like to think that this means that the virus is clearing.

Hallie is barking a whole lot less, is coughing not at all unless she's in the supine position and swallowing the aforementioned snot (this post is not for the faint of heart) and, most importantly, wants to play. She is working hard on her fine-motor skills by grasping the mask on her albuterol spacer and pushing it away as forcefully as possible. (We take heart in this struggle of wills: While Hallie doesn't seem terribly interested in pushing her chest up off the floor when she's in tummy time position, this is clearly not related to any lack of capacity to push, just a lack of desire.)

And for the most important milestone of all: I finally succumbed and did something I swore I would never do--I sucked out Hallie's nostrils with a nasal aspirator. I must say that I have had a lot more fun in my life, what with her struggling against me and all, but if it helps her feel better, I'll do anything. I guess that that's the ultimate definition of motherhood.

Anyway, hopefully all of this croup related crud will be a thing of the past by Monday. I'm beginning to miss the concept 'coffee' (which I hate when I'm sick; at all other points in life, I am addicted to the stuff)!

4 comments:

Jamie and Jill said...

I am so sorry that you all are sick. I'll be sending get well vibes from sunny AZ:)

Hopefully that coffee will taste better tomorrow!

3 good eggs said...

Oh the awful croup! One of my triplets had it a few weeks ago and it was not much fun. Luckily the other two just had runny noses and no barking cough!
I am sure you both are as thankful as I was that it wasnt RSV.
Hope you all feel better soon.
Christine

Sheila said...

Its 6:30 a.m. and I've been up since 4:30 with Alex. We both have horrible colds. I can hear my blood pulsing in my right ear, which can't be good. So I'm feelin' your pain, man, feelin' your pain.

Kim said...

I am so glad to hear that everyone is feeling better! Doesn't that nasal aspirator look like a tool of medieval torture (and, from the way babies react to it, you'd think it was!)?